Sunday 8 January 2012

Holiday Projects

Happy New Year!

I'm back, after a little hiatus, but I'm ready to get this blog ball rolling again.

Over the holidays, I had a couple drawing endeavors. The first was a commissioned birthday card from a regular at Mon Petit Choux. She'd remembered me drawing my own Christmas cards last year, and asked if I could make a birthday card for the captain of her outrigger canoe team, Just 4 Kicks, the 2011  Cora Cup champions. She provided me with some photos of the team and the trophy, and I got to work with my Prismacolour pencil crayons.



The woman in the canoe is the one whose birthday it was, and the wave is what the trophy looks like.


Also over the holidays, it was my parents' 30th wedding anniversary. My parents were already paying for us all to go to Cuba together, but my siblings and I wanted to do something special for them. We came up with the idea of compiling some of our childhood memories into a book, accompanied by some drawings. I ended up taking on the task.

Unfortunately, with the end of semester, and the previous card that I needed to finish, the project got pushed to the background until I was set to leave for Cuba. I started it on the ferry, sneakily worked on it on the plane (with my parents one row up, on the other side of the aisle from us), and more while at the resort. Needless to say they suspected something was up, and they were quite nosey about it until we finally revealed the book to them at their anniversary dinner.

I ended up splitting the memories up into a number of categories, including "Parenting", "Food", "Travel" and "Activities". Here are some of the pages, mostly from the "Parenting" section.

I forgot to get Andre to sign it before taking the pictures...









The book was a hit, and stirred up a lot of memories and laughs. Unfortunately, I didn't get the chance to finish it before we parted ways (it felt a little bit like having homework on vacation...) and Mom and Dad made their way back to Dubai while I came back to the island with the book. My task now is to finish it before I see them again in the summer.


Happy anniversary guys! Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment