Monday 23 January 2012

Capital letters! Poo jokes! Quotes!

Oh, hello there. Long time, no see!

Well, you see, I'm doing this little thing here in my final spring semester of university called ARTS 486, also-known-as the GRADUATING PROJECT. This means that over the course of the semester, we have to complete five projects in a direction of our choosing, and have works ready to be mounted in the downtown Nanaimo Art Gallery for the graduating show, Explorations, in March. March! March. So soon. Breathe...

So, I've proposed to continue the explorations that I started last semester in my ceramics directed study with Scott. I want to continue exploring the mixture of media, including some painting, and trying out some gel medium transfers of some of my photographs from the fall, which I want to apply back onto clay slabs. Full circle!

I'm also hoping to go to more life drawing classes (sadly, last week's was cancelled due to the snow day), but I want to try my hand at a lovely red clay body that I got in Victoria, known as Klamath Yellow. Why is "yellow" in the name if it's a red clay, you ask? Well, as the man at the clay store aptly put it, when it's wet, the clay is a lovely "baby-poo yellow." Once fired, it turns into a beautiful red. The benefits of this? Well gosh, who doesn't like making things change colour (read: magic) WITH INTENSE AMOUNTS OF HEAT? And poo jokes.

Unfortunately, I don't really have much started that I can share with you all, visually speaking, but for a written project this week, we had to look up some art vocabulary in reviews or artist statements. This led me to discover the art magazines in the Periodical section of the library, where I have decided I should spend some more time this semester. It was there, this morning, that I stumbled upon this lovely little quote about sculpture, which I find relevant to my work.


“Sculpture is the silent key to the world we encounter every second of every day. You might say that sculpture is what is not painting or printmaking or performance or video, what is not photography or film or cyberspace. You might be right. But you may just as easily be wrong.”
 – Ian Carr-Harris, professor at OCAD University


More to come, and thanks for reading! 


No comments:

Post a Comment