Saturday 24 September 2011

Drawing Life

I've never considered myself to be a very good drawer. Taking things out of my head and putting them onto paper has always been a struggle. But when I draw what I see, I feel much more in my element, and ever since starting drawing classes in university, I've absolutely fallen in love with drawing the human form.

Last year, my third year, I was in the final drawing class needed for my Visual Arts degree. I loved coming to class (yes, at 8:30 in the morning!) and setting up for a session with a model. I continually found myself staying later than the end of class to put finishing touches on my drawings, and swelling with a feeling of accomplishment.




These two in particular are ones I felt very proud of, and I'm hoping to be able to continue them as a series soon enough. The dark lines are ink drawn on with a stick or the back end of a paintbrush, coloured in with soft pastels.

It's this mixing of media that I've become increasingly compelled by, and though I won't have any more drawing classes in university, there is luckily a Wednesday night Life Drawing class that will start by the middle of October. It's there that I hope to continue experimenting.

I have many plans... but more to come on that soon enough. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment